Previous entry Next entry

Katy’s Travel Diary

Saturday, 06 May 2006

Location: Sydney, Australia

MapYesterday morning, we woke up, checked out of WakeUp, and followed Alex to the ferry to Manly. The ferry ride took about 30min, but the views of the city in the morning were spectacular. And with a piping hot mocha in one hand and my camera in the other, i was quite content and excited to be going to another place with something other than a big city feel. It's quite ironic that we are in a big city again! for the past 3 months, we've been little town hopping (aside from Brisbane which we didn't like anyways), and LOVING it!!! But, sydney also feels a little bit like home, it is the place where i began my journey in Australia, and the place that i will be leaving Aunstalia from. It is the first place where i called home, a little bit timid and scared, but so excited that i was half way across the world that it didn't really matter. It was the place where i stayed in my first hostel (although not very nice) and the first place i actually got to see while being here! . ANYWAYS... back to my travels after that little reflection period. Once we arrived in Manly, Alex lead us to the hostel he was staying in and we dropped off our bags and prepared ourselves for some walking. We went to the beach and to the little strip malls and on the sand and down the walks and... it was jsut a nice little place to just look at, with all it's cute little shops and nice little people! the pubs were quite a bit of fun too! After having sushi for supper (YUMM!) we went out to Pooley Pub for a drink. They had live music there, pool tables, and just a really great atmosphere to watch a rugger game - it was supposidly one of the most important games of the season, as i was told many times by many blokes! So funny.
This morning, we woke up, quite tired after our long bus rides and walking around all day yesterday. We went for some Thai food (yumm again!), and then went to check out the MARKET!!! I have decided that i LOVE markets! I bought a cute little necklace and a pendant from this really cute old man who was so nice and charming that i couldn't say now. At least the pendant is nice, haha. We then took the ferry back to Manly; I took some beautiful sunset pictures off of the ferry side, so gorgeous! Once back on Sydney ground, we had to book it back to the WakeUp hostel with our bags on (SO MUCH WORK!!!). It was about a 30min walk on a normal day, but we had to do it in about 20, and try to fight our way through the saturday night crowds. All i can say was it was not fun! And it was alot of work! Once back at WakeUp, we caught the Airport Shuttle just in time, and were off to the airport. It was quite a long flight, Tammy and I didn't really enjoy it, and once we got to Perth, we had no idea how to get to our hostel. Thank god that when we walked out, there was a shuttle just waiting for us to hop on! They took us to the Perth City YHA, where we booked in with one of the slowest reception people i have ever met. I was so tired and grumpy that i believe the only thing stopping me from jumping over the desk and doing it myself was the fact that i had a huge backpack on and that would be near impossible! Once into our room, we literally collapsed! Sleep time, and we slept in HARD the next morning, best sleep ever!
Love you!
Katy xxx