Previous entry Next entry

Bee’s Travel Diary

Thursday, 29 Jun 2006

Location: Bishop's Stortford, UK

MapHi Everyone,
Just trying to catch up on all my exciting news, so please bare with me.
My mum arrived on Friday morning, and I can't begin to describe how it felt to see her again. We didn't do much on Friday and Saturday morning because I was working, but on Saturday evening we went to the Headmaster's barbeque. There was a live jazz band and everything, so it was really quite something.
On Sunday morning, we set off quite early for Cambridge. Our first stop was King's College and Chapel. We spent quite a while looking around there, and then we had coffee in a little shop down the road. We then walked to the other end of the Cam where we got on a punt for a guided tour of the colleges and backs. It was an ok day, but it was still lovely to be on the river. After punting, we got some lunch and sat on the side of the river. There was a wind/jazz band playing in the park that we could listen to. After lunch, mum went off to go to St John's College and I had a little sleep on the side of the river. We met in town and looked around the shops for a bit. At 5.30 we got in line to get the last of the tickets for the King's Chapel Choir - Singing on the Cam. There were 10 of them standing on punts on the river, and the show was amazing! There was a little bit of traditional music, and then they also sang some 60's jazz and that kind of fun stuff. The concert ended quite late, so after getting the train, we arrived home after 11.
On Tuesday, we left at 6.30 to go to London. Our first stop was the Czech Republic Embassy were I had to go and get my visa. It was so much easier than the French visa - it only took half an hour! After that, mum and I went to Leicester Square to get tickets for the theatre, and then we went to the Tate Modern Art Gallery. That place is so huge, we spent an hour and a half there, and we didn't even do the first level properly - there're 5 levels! We had to leave to get to The London Eye in time for our 'flight'. Although we did get some really amazing views of London, it wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be. Our next stop was Westminster Abbey. The history of that place is quite awe-inspiring. We spent ages in there just looking at all the tombs and stained-glass windows. After Westminster Abbey, we caught the tube to Oxford Street - one of the main shopping street areas in London. We had a coffee at Starbucks and looked around the shops for a bit, before heading to Hamleys (the toy shop). Time seemed to fly away in there because there was so much to see, and before we knew it, it was 6.30. We walked down to Picadilly Circus to find some dinner, and then we went to the Queen's Theatre to see Les Miserables. Wow - it was just incredible! Our seats were way at the back, but we could still see and hear everything. It was, quite simply, AMAZING! After the theatre, we went to Liverpool Street Station to catch our train home.
That's all I've been up to so far, but I will write again on Monday, after our weekend in Bath.
Love you all,