Previous entry Next entry

Tamarra’s Travel Diary

Wednesday, 30 May 2007

Location: Pokhara, Nepal

MapHello All! Well here I am alive and well! I am not really ready to write an entire blog about my last 25 days. I think I need some time to digest! It has been one of the most incredible experiences of my life!! I have never physically challenged myself like this before. First, I want to say that travelling with my brother was great! Not perfect, but great!!! At the beginning we caught up on our lives. We had been apart for about 8 1/2 months so that took a few days to catch up on! Then we walked in silence, or made small talk! At times we had little to say which was a bit sad for me but we have lived in different cities for 18 yrs! However different we are we were both very supportive to one another! I know we both look back on our trekking together with only fond memories!! After my brother left I had decided to extend my trek by only a couple more days! But then I just couldn't get enough and next thing you know I am on my way back up the mountain to the Annapurna Base Camp (ABC) which is located in what I would call a fish bowl at 4131m. It is surrounded by 12 mountains the smallest being 6500m and the tallest being over 8000m. The weather on the trek up was fantastic. The first three days I walked through dense forest. The next day was between two sheer mountains. I crossed over rickety wooden bridges with gorging, angry, raging rivers below. I watched glaciers melting into the river. My big morning at ABC was the first bad weather I experienced in 25 days of trekking. I decided it was worth the wait and stayed an extra night at the top (brrrrrrrr, 5 degrees Celcius, no heating!!!) It was worth the wait because the next day was cloudless and perfect!! The trek down was equally incredible. My porter was a super star! I met many incredible people along the way and I am currently still hanging out with Nitai (22, Israeli, and wonderful) and Collin (32, British, and good fun). When I came down from the mountain after 24 days I went a little crazy with the heat (which I was finally use to in India) and the noise and pollution was just too much for me! So I turned around a ran back up the closest mountain and spent last night up there with Collin and his guide. This morning at 5am I had yet another incredible view of the snow covered mountain range. It never loses its awe value!! I could stare at it all day! I then walked back to the city to try again! I am going to stay in Nepal for another two weeks I think then head off to Tibet. That is the general plan at the moment. I want to describe my hiking experience in more details but I don't think words or pictures are going to cut it! Okay all, I am alive and well! Big hugs and kisses to you all! Love, T