Previous entry Next entry

Tasha’s Travel Diary

Tuesday, 04 Sep 2007

Location: Napier, New Zealand

MapHot Springs!

Just realised its been a while, I did end up back in Wanaka, however the boys decided to keep moving on to Fox, and as I had been there decided to stay and have my last day on the slopes. Tried out Trebble Cone which is quite a difficult mountain, as it is very steep. I obviously hit a learning plateau, well more a learning dip, because I spent the morning on my bottom. So I decided I would have to try to rectify the problem, and soon realised that, the steaper the mountain the more you have to lean forward?!! Which I suppose makes sense, but is quite difficult to put into practice. Trebble Cone has the best view, probably some of the best I have seen in this county, and I didnt take my camera - gutted! From Wanaka I took a bus to Christchurch via Mt Cook, decided to do that as its the tallest mountain in NZ. Unfortunately it wasnt the clearest days, but suppose it was still worth the trip? I spent a couple of nights in Christchurch, and then flew to Rotorua, on the north Island, an extremely volcanic area that I thought deserved some time. I was there a night, but then decided I wanted a car and it was cheaper hiring one in Auckland. So I headed up there stopped with Claire's friend Anna and her boyfriend Chris for a couple of nights. Which was very cool as they quickly informed me that they were having a bbq the next day, and I thought it rude not to attend. I didn't end up hiring a car, mainly due to my lack of 'actual' license and so headed back to Rotorua on the bus - great! I really hate buses and come to think of it all public transport. Anyways in Rotorua I went to a Maori night and then visited Wai-O-Tapu national park. What I crazy place that is, the ground steams, every where you look there is steam raising from the ground. Kinda like the grids in New York, but for entirely different reasons.

I did think it was quite strange that the Lady Knox Geyser, went off at a specific time every day. However the reason became apparent when a little man armed with soap powder came and sprinkled it down the hole. Basically what this does is displaces the cold water, that is acting as a lid to the boiling hot water. Allowing it to rip, this would happen , every 24 to 48 hours, due to the natural build up of pressure. But it would be harder to charge for, so they give it a helping hand.

Now I'm in Napier, a city that was ruined by an earthquake in the 1930's and the whole town was rebuilt, Art Deco style.

Only 3 more days left boohooo, then back to student life wooohooo!!

See you soon, for what will be my last entry.