Previous entry Next entry

Kelsey’s Travel Diary

Sunday, 18 Feb 2007

Location: Bangor, Wales

MapIt's been awhile, but I'll cover the big things that have happened. Let's see...Had class the last two weeks. Nothing too exciting there. I'm probably going to do an internship on mondays at a North Wales newspaper. Last Tuesday we had outdoor pursuits, and when we got in the van in the morning our instructor, chris, told us that we would be gorge scrambling...which was fine, except none of us knew what that meant. We went to the center to get all geared up in our wet suits, waterproofs, helmets, harnesses, life jackets and wellies (their word for galoshes/rain boots). We were all looking pretty good at this point....but since we were going to be getting wet all day we couldn't take any cameras so there is no evidence. From the beginning we got soaked...but even though it was cold out none of us got all that cold...other than the occasional frost bitten hands... We climbed up the gorge in the water falls and on the rocks. At a couple spots we had to be harnessed to a rope and climb pretty vertically. There pools of water that we could slide into and at the top there was a deep pool that we were able to jump into from above. All in all the day was very fun. I like my group of 10 that I do outdoor pursuits with. And our instructor was fun. Then on Saturday morning we had a tour of Angelsey Island for Tecwyn's Welsh culture class. Most of my new pictures are from that. We went to see Puffin Island...where there used to be a huge population guessed it....Puffin Birds!! But then somehow rats were introduced to the island and they ate all the baby puffin birds... and they are just now trying to reintroduce the puffins and increase the population on the island. Then we went to a holywell where people have supposedly washed their eyes and never needed their glasses again. But Tecwyn didn't recommend that anyone wash their eyes with the dirty water. We also went to two ancient tombs and one was on a cliff over looking the ocean. We went to the town that is in the guinness book of world records for the longest name. It's spelled: LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIO
GOGOGOCH.....try saying that five times fast....or just once. It's english translation is: St. mary's church in the hollow of the white hazel near to the rapid whirlpool of Llantysilio of the red cafe. Imagine mailing something to someone there..there must be some sort of abbreviation. We went to a couple of burial chambers and one was on a cliff overlooking the ocean. We went to the beach for a little while and ended at a lighthouse that is supposed to be one of the most haunted buildings in the U.K. but it was locked so we couldn't get very close.
Then we had another exciting week of classes. On Tuesday we had outdoor pursuits and this time we went mountain scrambling. We climbed a mountain but didn't take much of a path and were just rock climbing for alot of it. It took a couple of hours to reach the top. I had alot of fun, but some people were scared because there were some spots that if you wouldn't be good. That weekend I went to London with Mel, Tyman and Cody. That was definetly an interesting experience. We got to london at 9:30 a.m. on Friday...and found our hotel at 12:30. It turned out that there are several London Roads....and our was one that was about a 30 minute train ride from the nearest underground station. But we made due. On Friday we went to Buckingham Palace, Parlaiment, Westminster Abby, London Bridge, London Tower, and Tower Bridge. It was fun but I was exhausted by the time we got back to our hotel in Timbuktu. The next morning I woke up with Pink Eye! That was awful. I'd thought I'd gone blind. We guessed that it was from touching stuff when we were out and about on Friday. Luckily it was short lived and I recovered quickly. On Saturday we went to St. Paul's Cathedral, the British Museum, and Globe Theatre. Sunday we went to petticoat market or something like that which was just a bunch of stands selling stuff. But it was pretty busy and we had all of our stuff w/us so we didn't stay long since we were paranoid about having things stolen. Then we went to Piccadilly Circus to shop and eat before getting on a train back to Bangor. It took 3 1/2 hours to get to london and 6 1/2 to get home. I've never been so happy to come back to my dorm room. We were all tired from the weekend. Today, Tuesday, for outdoor pursuits we were supposed to go canoeing but it was too windy so we ended up climbing in an indoor facility. It was alright, but not as fun as the other days up to this point. Sorry for the extremely breif and general overview of what I've been doing. I'll try to update more often in the future. And definetly check out the pictures from my wales tour and london :)