Previous entry Next entry

Brigid’s Travel Diary

Friday, 28 Jan 2005

Location: WHISTLER, Canada

MapHello hello hello,
Once again i am going to begin by saying i am sorry for not updating sooner.

Since last time i wrote a few things have changed in whistler. Instead of being to cold to snow it is now too hot and it just keeps raining. Its been raining for at least 2 weeks and there is almost no snow left in the village. The peaks of both mountains are getting a bit of snow but the freezing level is really high. Its been so hot here, in the last week the coldest it got was 3 degrees.

So because it has turned really bad and the forecasts predict rain for another week we figured that there is no way that we can get enough snow the rest of our time here to make it worthwhile so we are packing up early and going travelling. Myself and two of my bestfriends, Elly Daley and Jane Bechtel, have planned a trip to California! So i have quit my job, which was really sad and we leave in 4 days when our accommodation runs out. We are spending a few days in Vancouver then flying to San Fransisco for 3 days then catching a bus to Los Angeles where we are meeting up with mum and dad which will be awesome. We spend 4 days in LA before flying to Fiji to defrost before coming home on the Feb 16th. Just in time for me to pack Kate up and send her off to College and move myself into our new house before uni starts for another year.

The biggest event of the season occured this week. It wasn't the world snowboarding championships or the National Brotherhood Ski conference or Whistlers gay and lesbian week it was AUSTRALIA DAY. Whistler is know to be over populated by Australian and its true. They call us JAFA's (Just another friggen Australian)

I had heard rumors for the past two months about how good Australia day was over here, however everyone thought that due to the poor snow conditions and not too many people around, it may just be hype and not nearly as crazy as many of the stories i have heard. The Longhorn Saloon is the place to go on Australia day, and we had been told by many that you should be lining up at the door no later then 7am if you want to get in. We definitely should have listened to their advice!

Everyone woke up at 8:00am and started getting kitted up with anything australian that we could get our hands on. The guys all had "Australian Skiing Team" shirts on that we made and we littered ourselves with australian flags, tattooes and bandanas! Elly, Caro and I made shirts that said "Boggabillas bobsled team" printed on them, with jeans and toes socks with thongs. The thongs turned out to be a bit of a problem in the snow. Elly and I tobboganed down the moutain to the bus stop so our feet didnt freeze. At 8:30am we decided to set the record for the earliest beer bong in history and all the guys had two each while the girls enjoyed a glass of champagne. The bus ride into the village was sooo funny, we all sat up the back and started bellowing out our national anthem with pride. Soon enough all the girls up front joined in and we had a full chorus line of crazy aussies. I would love to know what all the other normal people on the bus thought of us..

As we rose up the steps next to the bus stop we got our first glimpse of the line outside the longhorn. The rumors rang true and the line was at least 100 metres long.. and every single person in that line was sporting a flag or anything they could find that was green or gold. As soon as we joined the back of the line we found a footy in the line and started up a game of touch in the middle of crowd which was awesome fun however somewhat short-lived as our fitness levels wouldnt allow for a longer game. We all sang some more songs in the crowd, i think i heard Waltzing Matilda at least 20 times that day. Fortunatley, Elly and I spotted my good friend Brendan Nyst almost at the front of the line, so in true aussie spirit we skipped the 1hr+ wait.

On entry everyone received a ticket for a free meat pie (was made of a grainy mince rather then gravy like the aussie ones but good none the less!) and we also discovered that the bar had imported cans of VB for day (I didnt actually have one as i am not the biggest fan of beer and they cost $6.25 per can or $40 for a 6 pack) but it made us feel at home! After half an hour, all of our friends were in (about 25 of us) and we headed straight to the dancefloor where we stayed for the remainder of the day. The played the most awesome music - started off with about 4 hours of purely australian music with the likes of AC/DC, Jet & Midnight Oil. And finished up playing the top ten of Triple J's hottest 100! When 'land down under' by men at work came on everyone went crazy and screamed out the lyrics with pride. However the highlight of the day was undoubtedly 'The Voice' by John Farnham. At that stage all our friends were on the four podiums and everyone was screaming out the song which was awesome fun and soooo funny. Altogether we have over 600 photos and video recordings of the day. Bernie, a guy i am living with, has downloaded everyones photos and we are making a huge DVD of them all.

Anyway, I must go. We have so much to do before we leave. I am actually really doing to miss this place. We have all gotten into a routine and its like leaving home again. But all the same i cant wait to get home and see everyone again.

To everyone keep safe, Have fun and i will see you on the 16th!!!!!

Luv me xox

ps. parts of the australia day memoir were taken from adams page........