Previous entry Next entry

Alaska’s Travel Diary

Sunday, 26 Aug 2007

Location: USA

MapAugust 25 and 26 From Skagway and Ketchikan....Jennifer and I are sitting in the computer room aboard our ferry, the Malasapina, and trying to catch ya'll up with our shenanigans. We drove all over Skagway and did as much as we were able to do all day Friday. You will see pictures of our Skagway experience and the cemetery which was a hoot and holler.

We got up early yesterday morning at 5:30 and got on the Ferry at 9:00 AM, a block away from our hotel. The pictures of our departure will be online. Our state room is wonderful, for just the two of us...we could have a party of six if we wanted to. The ferry is very classy, the food has great chefs, there is a movie room, a huge bar, several lounge areas and a bigger lounge area for the forest rangers to give lectures. This morning we heard one on bears. We learn something new each time. I am sure Jennifer will add to this so I will cut it short and start uploading pictures. We have the boat to ourselves since everyone is in Ketchikan for a few hours layover. We have already been and seen so we are opting to catch up.


P.S. I wish someone could have captured the first few hours of our ferry adventure…..
We opted to nap as soon as we were able to get our room. We woke to bells ringing loudly, around 10:30 a.m. We had been instructed to dress warmly for a drill, and so I did. I left the room to find out what ‘flipping’ Muster Station we would report to while Gwynne dressed in her warm clothes back in the cabin. Thank goodness it was not for real….she would have drowned in the cabin. As I checked it out, I found that it was only a drill for the staff…..loaded down in fire retardant gear w/ mask and oxygen tanks. I felt like a fool. From our room, we cannot hear the loud speaker, just someone speaking…..sort of like Charlie Brown cartoons…wah, wah, wah…wah wah. I hope there is no real event in which we would need to know anything. The speaker outside our room does not work. We would say something, but then we'd hear every announcement, including what movie they would be showing, when the next ranger talk would be, announcing the next port of call, the times for this and that, there would be no end and we would never sleep. As it turns out…we got 11 hours sleep last night. This is in addition to the hour to hour and a half that we got before hearing bells.
We are sure to have down all the routine here on the ferry before we will have to disembark and forget that and start a new. Whew!
It is really strange to be able to use our cell phones along the passage (in some places…spotty), but more strangely is to be hooked to wireless internet at anytime. Who’d have thunk! We will be leaving here by 5:00 p.m., a five hour layover and then it is off to Bellingham, WA….37 hours non-stop.