Previous entry Next entry

Alaska’s Travel Diary

Sunday, 28 Jun 2009

MapFor Saturday:
Sam, Tracy, & I enjoyed a nice walk of about 2 miles round trip up and down the streets of downtown Seattle. We made our way to Pike's Market, knowing it would be closed, and proceeded to the wharf for a nice meal at The Crab Pot with a view of the water....smoked salmon & fries for Tracy, clam chowder for me. Sam had a p & j back at the hotel before we left. The variety of characters we saw during our stay here ranged from women dressed to the hilt in their skimpy dresses and high heels, men in skirts or kilts, transvestites (sp?) dressed in drag, the homeless, just to name a few. Ibuprophen was needed for me to make it through the night. The terrain in downtown Seattle resembles that of San Francisco.....better to have walked it, in my book, than to drive it. YIKES! Our mouths were watering for a good Cinnimon Dolce Latte from Starbucks, but unfortunately, we got there at 9:35 and it closed at 9:30. Wouldn't you know it? Not to fear....we had hot chocolate w/ whipped cream back at the room and shared our stories with Gwynne & her bed around 11:00 pm.
For Sunday:
Seattle at its best.....we left @ 11:40 a.m. and sat in traffic waiting either for an opening or for the Gay Pride Parade to end trying to get to the ferry terminal only 6 blocks to the water. We departed on the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island, finally, by 2:05. The ferry ride is only 30 minutes. Upon leaving the ferry and heading from Bainbridge Island to the Olympic Peninsula @ Port Angeles, we sat in yet more traffic. This time miles of cars stopped on both sides of a draw bridge. Needless to say, I have no desire to visit Bainbridge Island again. I shall find another route. It was a struggle to plan a day when most of it was taken up with driving 60 miles over a 5-hour drive. The visitor's center at Hurricane Ridge only remains open until 6, so our first stop was to pick up Sam's Junior Ranger packet & information about the park. Afterwards, what was supposed to be lunch at The Crab House turned out to be our dinner. The food was very good and portions VERY generous. Sammy enjoyed eating much of my abundant calamari and I his crispy french fries. Still loaded down with all our belongings, not yet unpacked at our next KOA, we headed up to Hurricane Ridge in hopes of seeing the same wounded bear we saw 6 years ago. Instead, we saw many dear, lots of unusual foliage, and what we think was a Spruce Hen escorting her chicks across the road. We headed for our KOA and have summed up the, what was supposed to be, a short day as one of the most tiring of all.