Previous entry Next entry

Egypt’s Travel Diary

Thursday, 24 Jan 2008

Location: Dahab, Egypt

MapAnd the Trek begins. We Left Cairo at 7:00 am on Tuesday morning and drove all day to get to Mt Siani and St. Katherines Monestary. We got lost trying to get out of Cairo which is a crazy city to drive in let alone do it with a huge truck. We arrived at St Katherines about dark and had to set up our tents and all the cooking gear. There are alot of jobs to do but we have a pretty good group so it seems to go along pretty smoothly. There is one fellow from Ireland, one from Australia, One from England, One from Canada, and a Lady from England and Pam and I. The Two guys from Ireland and Australia have been on the truck starting in Cape town South Africa. The guy from England joined in Ethiopia and the rest of us joined in Cairo. Everyone has a certain job and when you are done you help out who ever needs alittle help. It seems to work pretty well. Anyways we got everything set up and had a good supper. By the way it was quite cold. Not as cold as at home from what I hear but colder then we were ready for. It was about 0 degrees. We tried to sleep in our tents which for some was pretty easy. Pam and I did not get alot of sleep. We then got up at 3 am and starting hiking to the top of Mt Siani to see the sunrise over the mountains. Oh ya by the way The desert is not all sand and flat. There are some pretty big mountains here and really jagged at that. Well we hiked for about 3 hours and made it up for the sunrise. It was a fairly tough hike with some steep slopes to get up. Alot of people take camels to the top and then walk the last 750 stairs right to the top. We wanted the real experience so we hiked all the way to the top and back down again. Needless to say it was well worth it but we were tuckered out after the hike. Then we loaded back in the truck and headed for Dahab. We had a bit of a slow start because the truck does not have winter diesel in it so for the first Half hour we had to stop and clean the filters to get the ice out. Once the fuel warmed up we were away. We have heard that the middle East has been having freakishly cold weather this winter. Part of the reason we are having trouble with the truck and of course you cant buy diesel antifreeze in a place where the summer temp hits 50 during the day. The crew is still trying to get that sorted out. We finally made it to Dahab and had the rest of the day to Warm up from the very cold hike. Today Nick (a guy from the truck) and I went Scuba diving so needless to say it is much warmer here. Very nice little town. Not as much of a resort town like Hurghada. More Laid back. The scuba diving was pretty good and seen some cool fish and some very nice coral. The water was about 21 degrees which isnt too bad. We had two wet suits on so I was really warm. Tomorrow we head off to Jordan by means of a ferry. Should be an interesting day. We are going across the Gulf of Aqaba. Across the gulf from Dahab we can see mountains in Saudia Arabia. Never thought I would be in the Middle East traveling around. Pretty Awesome!!!
Sorry about the pictures I am still working on it but I have to find a computer with the right software or take my camera and get the pics burnt on to a CD. I will try and figure soemthing out.