Previous entry Next entry

rglongpre’s Travel Diary

Monday, 28 Jan 2008

Location: Agra, India

MapWe delayed our tour of the Taj Mahal until later in the morning because the light was terrible and photos would not be worth taking. By the time we did get there, we finally had some decent light though not good sunlight. Regardless, we got some very good photos.

After the Taj Mahal we visited a trades shop that does inlay work on marble similar to what we saw at the Taj Mahal. Next, was the Agra Fort. To tell the truth, one fort is beginning to look like the next fort. Oh well, photos were taken and we saw what there was to see. Our guide was young, enthusiastic and knowledgeable, so it helped.

By the end of the tour of the fort I was feeling quite sick, ready to throw up. Luckily, we made it back to the hotel in time for me to lose my breakfast. As a result, we cancelled the rest of the tour and I took it easy. In the afternoon we took time to do an hour of e-mail near the hotel. We then killed time until it was time to head to the train station in Tudla. It took an hour to make the drive to the train station so we got there with about an hour and a half to spare before our train was supposed to arrive.

The wait was interesting in the tiny first class waiting room. I finally tried eating some banana as I was feeling less queasy. While waiting we saw a rat scampering all around the room, sometimes crawling on to people’s luggage. When it was time, we went onto the platform and noticed about a billion birds in the rafters. We had to be careful where we stood as we were likely to get guano all over us otherwise. We waited and waited. Every fifteen minutes we were informed that the train was delayed. Or 8:25 train arrived at 9:40 and eventually left ten minutes later. Our anticipated 5:30 arrival in Varanasi was now scheduled for 6:45 am. We enjoyed talking with a guy from Japan and his son as well as a young girl from Japan who was touring India on her own.

We finally settled into our bunks and began our night train journey in India.