Previous entry Next entry

Lauren & Georgia’s Travel Diary

Saturday, 07 May 2011

Location: London , UK

MapApologises for not posting an entry for the past few days. We have been busy transiting all over the world and I have managed to come down with a cold. I know it is a cold as I had my flu vaccination before I left, thank god.

The 13 hour flight from Kuala Lumpur to Stansted London was as comfortable as any 13 hour flight could be. The time seemed to pass reasonably quickly while managing to squeeze a few hours of sleep in here and there. Not much else to report about the trip, we did meet a nice Dutch boy by the name of Daan. He has been living in Australia for the past 19 months and was on his way back home. We are hoping to catch up with him when we get to Barcelona as he will be there at the same time.

Once arriving at Stansted we checked into our hotel, the Radisson Blu, which was a short walk from the airport. Very convenient. I was surprised by how pleasant the weather was. It was 17 degrees on arrival. A little warmer to the 7 or so degrees I was expecting. We all went to bed as soon as we checked in ready for our journey to Paris the following day.

I woke up at 6.00am. I couldnít sleep in although I was extremely tired. I think it is my anxiety that keeps me awake when I donít have a clock next to me to see what the time is. I start to worry about things such as missing the train, sleeping all day, etc. When we all finally awoke we went downstairs to the buffet breakfast. Definitely hit the spot.

We then walked back over to the Airport to catch the train to St Pancras Station. The trip from the airport took approx. one hour. I found it funny that they sell snacks and even alcohol on the train. Once arriving at St Pancras Station we had to wait half an hour before we could check in for our Eurostar journey. The train station was amazing. A shopping centre almost. Georgia and I got a bit carried away in a store called M&S Simply Food. It is a gourmet grocery store owned by Marks & Spencer. I couldnít get over some of the products they sold for such reasonable prices. We bought a few snacks and some lunch for the train trip to Paris.

Time for the train trip. I was a little overwhelmed by just how many people were catching the train. The journey went fast and got to see some lovely scenery on the way. It has definitely made me want to hire a car and drive around France to explore! Once arriving at Paris we caught the Metro to our apartment which is conveniently located only 20 metres from the Oberkampf station.

I started to get a little stressed out and decided I was in desperate need of a beer. Luckily there is a café/bar just across the road. I tried this beautiful beer called Leffe Ruby. It tastes like beer with a hint of apple cider. Amazing! I could definitely see myself consuming a few more of those while I am here. After a few beers I was feeling a tad jolly, it didnít help that it was happy hour so each drink was upsized.

Georgia and I came back to the apartment and had some fresh cheeses, pate and bread and a glass of wine with Mum and Dad. We all went to bed pretty early, which felt unusual as the sun was still out although it was close to 9.00pm. I wonder what tomorrow will hold?

Lauren x