Previous entry

Lauren & Georgia’s Travel Diary

Sunday, 12 Jun 2011

Location: Dublin, Ireland

MapThe trip from Lagos to Dublin went smoothly. We woke up at 6.00am to catch the taxi to the airport which was an hour away. I hadnít done all the research and we were shocked when we discovered this the night before. I jumped online and luckily we were able to book a cab. Whilst in Portugal our credit cards wouldnít work at the ATMs for some reason so were stuck with little cash most of the time. The taxi driver was meant to give us one euro change Ė usually we would tip them their change but it isnít necessary and we really needed every cent we could get. Unfortunately the taxi driver decided not to offer us our change. We were pretty cranky but carried on with checking in, etc. Later on we went to pay for some breakfast when Georgia magically found a 20 euro note in her wallet. She had accidentally short changed the driver! We felt a little bit guilty but it was an accident and we really needed the money.

Once arriving in Dublin we made our way to an ATM and felt joyous when we heard the machine dispensing cold hard cash. We got the airport bus into the city and eventually found our hostel after walking down half of Temple Lane with our backpacks on! Losers! We were pretty hungry and after checking in went and enjoyed a pub lunch as well as a pint. On the walk home we stopped in at two more pubs including the famous Temple Bar. We ended up going back a little later on and enjoyed listening to the Irish music. It was a lot of fun and we also ended up making friends with a few of the Turkish Football Team! We are about to head back down there shortly as a musician has just started to perform for 100 hours to break the Guinness World Record. It will be interesting to see him today and then the difference when we come back on Wednesday night to see how he is going.

Today we didnít get up to much Ė it is very cold and rainy here. We caught a local bus to the Guinness Storehouse and did a tour. Our ticket also included a pint of Guinness at the end which we were able to pour ourselves. I canít say I am a fan though, it tasted as if I was drinking a glass of soy sauce. It was definitely interesting to learn about the history behind Guinness.

Tomorrow morning we are setting off for our Paddy Wagon Tour. It is a tour of Southern Ireland and will last for two nights. I will try to keep you updated where I can. Donít forget to check out my photos! I must go now, the pub is calling!

Lauren x