Previous entry Next entry

Lyn & John Jarden’s Travel Diary

Sunday, 26 Mar 2017

Location: TWIZEL, New Zealand

MapFriday was more washing on the line then into town. First stop was the old Railway Station for a look around and a chance to absorb some culture with the varied art works on display. We were lucky enough to get the last park available. Dunedin was packed with heaps of tourists off a cruise liner in town.
I was going to visit the sports hall of fame but was not prepared to pay the asking price. It is fashion week in Dunedin so consequently a lot of the streets and different parts of the station were cordoned off. Next it was off to the info centre to see what to do. We decided on the Cadbury chocolate tour and the monarch cruise around the Albatross and Seal,and Sea Lion areas. The tour of the chocolate factory was informative and great for the waistline with many samples and a great guide.

Then it was a drive right out to Albatross colony area and our cruise. We saw all that they advertised with the exception of Penguins, this included Royal Albatross, Buller Albatross, Gannets and numerous other sea birds, seals and Sea Lions, all in all a very worthwhile tour. It was then time to return to the van for tea and prepare for our next adventure.

Our departure from Mosgiel was under gray skies chilly winds and a threat of rain. First stop of the day was at Moeraki, the town not the boulders, I took the wrong turn however with the aid of some locals we were soon on the right track and went down onto the beach to see the big, round cannon ball looking rocks. They are quite peculiar In that they are about 1 mitre high and seem to almost be glued together, lots of photos to come. The wind was still blowing and very chilly.

Next stop was Oamaru for some lunch and a small stock up then on to Twizel. Most of the drive was wet and very misty, however as we got closer to Twizel the clouds lifted and the sunshine rained on us. We are parked in the grounds of the Combined services Club which is a large expanse of grass with about a doz vans and motor homes parked up. I checked it out and found that they had the rugby on, so after tea I Was given permission to go and watch the Blues actually win a game. Unfortunately on my return we discovered that we had another leak which will have to wait until CHCH to get fixed properly.

Today it was on the road to Mount Cook, after breakfast. The journey was almost breathtaking with magnificent scenery. We parked up at the Hermitage and went exploring. The whole place has changed dramatically in the 27 years since we were last here with the Edmond Hilary alpine centre being a real tourist attraction with movies about the mountain and the conquering of it in 3D.,this was awesome as well,as entertaining. We then watched a 30 min doco on black holes, yeh I know, not your usual cup of tea and Lyn did admit to having a bit of a snooze (So did I) we then had some lunch and a stroll around the the grounds hoping to get a photo of the mountain without cloud all over it with almost a little success.
It was then time for the return journey with frequent stops for pics of Lake Pukaki which were just mind blowing, Lyn is an amazing photographer with a great eye for a good shot. We then decided to go to Tekapo for mass in the Church of the Good Shephard, you probably know all about it but it was a very tranquil place for prayer. Then it was back to the van for tea of baked beans and eggs on toast. Tomorrow it is off to Geraldine and a catch up with my Uncle Paul and Joanne.